Michel Dimitri Chalhoub, better known as Omar Sherif, was an Egyptian actor who appeared in films and television shows. Joseph Chalhoub and Claire Saada welcomed him on 10 April 1932 in Alexandria, Egypt. Omar Sharif believed in having a net worth of $2 million while he was alive. He obtained it as a result of his acting profession.
|Date of Birth:||10 April 1932|
|Place of Birth:||Alexandria, Egypt|
|Net Worth:||$2 Million|
Omar Sharif was born Michel Dimitri on 10 April 1932, in Alexandria, Egypt, to Joseph Chalhoub and Claire Saada. His father was a dealer of rare woods, and his mother was a well-known social hostess.
He was a member of Egypt’s Syria-Lebanese ‘Antiochian’ Greek Catholics and was from Melkite Catholics. He began demonstrating his aptitude for languages throughout his student years at Victoria College in Cairo. Later in life, he graduated from Cairo University with a degree in mathematics and physics. Upon graduation, he joined his father’s company but soon left to pursue acting at London’s Royal Academy of Dramatic Art.
Omar Sharif Personal Life
Omar Sharif was born in Egypt and lived there until 1965, when he relocated to Europe. Though his father’s firm first struggled, it eventually blossomed. King Farouk often paid him visits and befriended Sharif’s mother, whom he used as a card-game partner. Following 1952, when wealth shifted in Egypt due to Nasser’s policies, his father’s firm collapsed.
Omar Sharif met actress Faten Hamma in 1954 while filming the film ‘Struggle in the Valley. They both fell in love and married in 1955, shortly after Sharif converted to Islam. Tarek Sharif, the couple’s son, was born in 1957.
He was romantically related to actress Barbra Streisand. This romance came dangerously close to robbing him of his Egyptian citizenship. Sharif had a heart bypass in 1992 and was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease in May 2015. Sharif died on 10 July 2015 after a heart attack. His son and two grandkids survive him.
Omar Sharif Career
Omar Sharif began his acting career in 1954 with the film ‘Shaytan Al-Sahra’ (alternatively titled ‘Devil of the Desert’). In another movie that year, he also acted as Ahmed, ‘Sira’ Fi al-Wadi’ (also known as ‘Struggle in the Valley’).
He starred in ‘Ayyamna al-Holwa,’ ‘La Châtelaine du Liban,’ ‘Sira’ Fi al-Mina,’ and ‘Ard al-Salam’ between 1955 and 1957. His popularity rapidly grew to prominence, and he made his Egyptian debut in the 1958 production ‘La Anam’ (‘Sleepless’). He starred in the French film ‘Goha’ and two additional films, ‘Shatie el asrar’ (‘Beach of Secrets’) and ‘Ghaltet Habibi’s (‘My Lover’s Fault’).
Omar Sharif’s first break came in 1962 when he was in the English historical epic ‘Lawrence of Arabia.’ David Lean, the epic’s director, insisted on including Sharif despite being hardly recognized outside of Egypt.
Quick Facts About Omar Sharif
- Michel Dimitri Chalhoub was his given name.
- Sharif Is Multilingual.
- He was the husband of Faten Hamama.
- He Was a Prominent Contract Bridge Performer.
- Sharif was a Hull City Football Club supporter.
- He was not always a box-office juggernaut.
- He stopped gambling in 2000.
- Sharif has taken a hiatus from Hollywood.
- He took a strong stance against the Egyptian revolution.
- Illness plagued him in his later years.
Omar Sharif Social Media Accounts
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Snapchat
Famous Faq’s About Omar Shariff
How Tall Was Omar Sharif?
- Omar Sharif is 1.8 m tall and is Egypt’s finest male cinema star.
What Are The Names Of The Films In Which Peter O’Toole & Omar Sharif Appear Together?
- The Night of the Generals (2006), One Night With the King (2006), The Rainbow Thief (1990), and (1967). Sharif and O’Toole do not appear together in the 1965 picture Doctor Zhivago.
Which Hotel Does Omar Sharif Live?
- Sharif spends most of the year at a Paris hotel, where he is in a free room.
Does Omar Sharif Sing?
- Yes, Omar Sharif is a well-known actor who is also a singer.
Is Omar Sharif Still Alive?
- Omar Sharif was deceased in the year of 2015
Is Omar Sharif Related To Tony Shalhoub?
- They very well, maybe. Sharif is of Lebanese ancestry and was born in Egypt and, at the very least, remotely connected.
Did Omar Sharif Win An Oscar?
- Omar Shariff has received the following awards in Oscar: Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actor and Golden Globe Award for the same year (1963), Golden Globe Award for Best Actor (1966), César Awards for Best Actor (2004), and Golden Lion for Lifetime Achievement (2004). (2003).
Is Omar Sharif In Rambo 3?
- Yes, Omar Sharif appears in “Rambo 3” as a Rebels leader.
Did Omar Sharif Have A Son?
- Omar Sharif has a son, Tarek Sharif.
All net worths are calculated using data drawn from public sources. When provided, we also incorporate private tips and feedback received from the celebrities or their representatives. While we work diligently to ensure that our numbers are as accurate as possible, unless otherwise indicated they are only estimates. We welcome all corrections and feedback using the button below.
DID WE MAKE A MISTAKE? Submit a correction suggestion and help us fix it! Contact Us